Musical Poker

Welcome to the Basement!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A Group Blog

Bill Rinni, came up with an idea for group blogging. It sounds good to me, and his subject for the first group blog is something I have a problem with, so I decided to tackle it.

"Expect nothing from a hand. Play each street based on the information at hand."

How often do you find yourself with a good starting hand and refuse to believe you are beat? For myself, more often than I would like to admit. Now, part of it is the fact that I play aggressively and am not afraid to bluff someone off a hand. Why is that a problem? Because I often think people are doing the same thing to me, because thats what I would do, when in reality, they have me beat.

If I can remember that not all players play like me, then I might have a chance to really embrace this concept. Until then I will continue to cost myself money.

Is there any worse feeling than having pocket Kings, building up a big pot and then seeing the Ace on the turn? At this point I know that someone probably has an Ace, however; I will continue to bet and reraise even if the information the other players are giving me tells me not too. Why? Because if I were in there position and didnt have an Ace, I would bet it anyway to scare off someone who has pocket K's or Q's. It all goes back to realizing that not everyone plays and bluffs like me. I need to learn to laydown these hands.


When you are in game and someone at the table has been getting under your skin, these are the hardest opponents to laydown a premium starting hand to. Ego! I know for a fact, a lot of my leaks in my game are do to ego. However; this is a double edged sword. I feel that if my ego and confidence were higher I wouldnt have these problems. If I truly felt that I was the best player at the table, then I should have no problem laying these down, because I can outplay the others when I have less than premium hands. So to me, I think I play these so poorly because in my heart of hearts I dont believe I am as good as I try to convince myself I am.

This has been really interesting to me, and I am going to try and keep this in mind. I almost always know when I am beat, but will push because of ego. If I can become truly confident in my game, I should be able to follow the advice of the above quote.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:40 PM, Blogger Bill said…

    Good insight. Even the best people have a hard time getting off a good hand.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home