Musical Poker

Welcome to the Basement!

Thursday, January 19, 2006

My Own Tilt Hell

Why do I tilt? I know better, but I still steam easily at the table. Its not even the normal tilt after a bad beat. Don't get me wrong, I do tilt somewhat after a bad beat. But you know what really makes me tilt? A bully. I really go on tilt if someone plays back at me a couple of times. I am sure there is some deep psychological reason for this that I probably don't want the answer too, but damn I need to find a way control this.

I like to think I am a decent to good poker player. I would like to think that, but the truth is if I can be put off my game (Well wait a minute, that is too gentle a way to put it. Its more like sent wildly careening off my game.) by being reraised by the same person a couple of times in a row, then I am a complete fish.

I completely lose focus when I think someone is bullying me. I stop paying attention to everyone else, and make it my mission to destroy the bully. Here's the funny part, sometimes it works. Great, I should be happy. Well the problem is that I put so much time and energy into beating this one person, that I have no idea how the others at the table are playing and will inevitably loose my stack to them. Wait what, seat one likes to check raise? I had no idea! Um, seat 4 only raises with monsters? Damn, wish I would have picked up on that!

What prompted this post was CJ over at Up For Poker. He listed his general game plan for a session. One of the steps was to pick one person at the table and reraise every raise they make. Let me tell you, it works. It completely derails me.

I wish I could post that I am going to overcome this by taking some imaginary steps that I would now list.

1) See here would be one counter-measure I would list

2) Here would be the 2nd counter-measure

3) For those of you who are slow, this would be counter-measure number 3

Unfortunately, I am kind of tilting right now just thinking about it. So maybe I should do the exact opposite, maybe I should embrace the steaming. You know, really get to know it. Maybe take it out for a drink or two, get it drunk, and then consummate this ugly relationship I have with it. Instead of trying to kick it out of the house, instead, I should greet it at the door with open arms. I would learn to live with it, make it work for me instead of against me. Yeah, now that is a money making plan!

What the hell that last paragraph means? I have no fricken idea, but it kind of creeps me out. What I do know is that I have a long way to go before I can consider myself a good poker player.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home