Musical Poker

Welcome to the Basement!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

An Unremarkable Tournament

So I finished 79th out of 189 last night at a 10&1 MTT. I didnt lose on a bad beat, I didnt lose because of a really bad play made and I didnt make any amazing plays that I just had to write about.
So you may be wondering what this post is about then. Well, I will tell you. This was the most monotonous, unspectacular tourney I have ever played. Nothing interesting happened, I was getting cold decked all night. I had one good hand of pocket queens, I raised three time the BB and everyone folded. That was basically the highlight of the night for me. I didnt win or lose any big pots, just had me stack slowly erode away. I made a desperate all in when I was down to 800 with the the blinds at 150 and 75. I had Kd,10s and got called by someone holding an Ace. Nothing came down to improve my hand and I was done. I wasnt angry, I wasnt upset, just kind of ho hum about it all. I wasnt getting cards all night, and didnt expect to get any help on this showdown.
Now I know we all have nights where we get cold decked, so why was this different? Well most of the time that this happens to me I am still able to make moves when I have postition and no one is coming strong. Never had a chance to do that last night. Not really complaining, just an observation on how sometimes you dont seem to get a chance to do anything at the table.
Is there a way to combat this? It makes me wonder which school of thought is correct when it comes to the beginning of tourneys? Are you better off playing very consertative at first because your chips are more vaulable at the beginning of the tourney? At least that what Sklansky says. Or, are you better off trying to accumulate chips like a mad man at the beginning to try and give yourself some cushion for the fast escalating blinds?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home